Human Resources & Labor Management Institute - 10/27/22 - Allegheny County
Includes a Live In-Person Event on 10/27/2022 at 9:00 AM (EDT)
This class is a must-attend for anyone who has responsibility for HR and personnel management in their township. In this seminar, the team from Eckert Seamans will detail what to expect in human resources and labor relations.
Qualifies for 5 PMGA Administrative Points
Eligible for 5 Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Credits
The agenda for this event will include the following topics:
- And Then This Happened: The Year in Review (Plus….A Look Ahead) - This session focuses on developments in labor and employment law over the past year. We will discuss recent employment law cases that affect townships of all sizes. Given the pace of change in 2022 so far, an hour may not be sufficient time to cover all the developments in this fluid area of the law. We will also discuss how the recent state and federal elections may impact the world of municipal employment in the coming years.
- Correcting Employees – What Works and What Does Not - We will discuss the steps necessary to hold employees accountable and to, when necessary, impose appropriate discipline. We will discuss the law on employee supervision, rules about which employees can be held accountable and outline best practices on how to improve the personnel function in your township so that you get the best out of any employee.
- Social Media and the Public Sector Workplace - The use (and more often misuse) of social media by employees has been a substantial issue in determining whether an employee’s social media posts (both on and off duty) can either be regulated by an employer. We will cover all the rules necessary to determine when an individual’s online posts can be subject to discipline and when they cannot.
- Medical Marijuana in the Workplace - Employers are seeing an increase in individuals seeking to use medical marijuana cards across all industries. Many townships have seen the same increase. In this session, we discuss best practices to address employees who test positive for drugs and how to engage on the issue of legalized marijuana use in the public sector.
- Employment Contracts, Agreements, Side Letters, and “Understandings” - Many individual employees have different working arrangements with townships including “contracts” which may or may not be legal. We will break down who in a township can have a contract and what agreements with employees are binding and why. We will examine common misunderstandings regarding what employers can—and cannot—do.
- Municipal Employment Jeopardy - Moderated by PSATS staff, Eckert lawyers and their teams will compete against each other to earn bragging rights by answering questions about labor and employment law. Yes, there will be a Daily Double.
October 27, 2022
9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Doubletree by Hilton Pittsburgh-Monroeville
101 Mall Blvd.
Monroeville, PA 15146
Member* - $ 99.00
Non-Member – $ 125.00
CLE Credits - $ 75.00
*PSATS Member = Registrant has paid current annual membership dues to PSATS or one of its professional associations (e.g., Township Emergency Management Association, Township Engineers Association, Township Planners Association, Township Solicitors Association, or the Pa. Assoc. of Zoning Officials).
CANCELLATIONS/REFUNDS / NO SHOW POLICY:
Cancellations must be in writing, and can be sent to us by email to firstname.lastname@example.org; by fax to (717) 763-9732; or by mail to PSATS Education Program, 4855 Woodland Drive, Enola, PA, 17025. Refunds will be determined by the sent date of the notice.
Refunds for cancelling a webinar at any time will be subject to a $10 processing fee.
For classes, (in-person and virtual), refunds for a cancellation sent to us between 10 and 2 business days before the class you are registered for will be subject to a $20 processing fee. Those who cancel within two business days of the class you are registered for, or do not attend, forfeit the full registration fee which, if unpaid, will be invoiced.
ACCESSIBILITY & OTHER NEEDS:
If you require alternate format, sign language, or have other needs, please contact PSATS directly (717) 763-0930, x-159.